Saturday 28 October 2023

Day At The (Haunted) Museum

Abandoning Mrs J to the retail delights of Nottingham, I set off following Google Maps across the busy city centre and up a steep hill. My destination was the Haunted Museum who promised over 1000 haunted items contained within their premises on Derby Road.


Arriving just after opening at 11:00 I found myself signing a waiver and paying my admittance before pushing my way through the entrance gates and uncovering the secrets within. After taking in the horse drawn hearse, which at its previous home was recorded moving of its own accord – the CCTV proof being shown on a TV screen close by – I waited for the green light to descend into the basement.

The catacomb like subterranean area of the museum, discovered and excavated after they had moved in, has motion activated recordings and light effects that show off dybbuk boxes and human ashes, sealed in polythene bags enshrined in the walls with sticky labels and photographs being the only means of identifying its previous owner. Being alone in the claustrophobic crypt amongst the human remains and incarcerated spirits with the disembodied voices coming from the hidden speakers was an unusual feeling. The feeling of not being on my own did not lift as I returned to the ground level and found myself surrounded by trepanned skulls, taxidermized animals and a large display case with the label “DO NOT OPEN”, for inside with broken seals was a dybbuk box.

I had been fascinated by The Dark Paranormal episode entitled the Dybbuk Box, in which the story of an imprisoned spirit had been released after its purchase and attempt at restoration. Efforts to sell the box found it to be returned – with one customer leaving it on the shop’s doorstep with a note. The term Dybbuk derives from Jewish folklore, that a disembodied human spirit, because of its former sins, would restlessly wander until finding sanctuary in the body of a living host. To protect the living from these tortured spirits and the bad luck they would bring, they would be contained within boxes, along with cups, beads and religious items that would assist in the containment of the malcontent spirit.

The hope, therefore, that the glass display cabinet can provide an element of protection for their guests and visitors is reinforced by the simple sign. After alighting the stairs and working my way through a room full of dolls I found myself in front of another television displaying CCTV. The screen showed the aforementioned glass display case and then something unseen cause a skeleton to fall and break. The CCTV video presentation was surrounded by Victorian-style display cases of haunted artefacts with neat labels describing each exhibit, its provenance and story that it puts the British Museum to shame.


My tour took me past Regan’s Bed, and an exorcist’s box. The little details made this display shine right down to the upside-down crucifixes adhered to the walls. Encountering a hen weekend – and congratulating the bride-to-be I found myself in a room of clowns and side show attractions, surrounded by mirrors. In this room was an interesting dolls house which was full of live feed cameras, and I spent several minutes observing, just hoping to witness something unseen move an object or disturb the flour liberally distributed across the floors.

Returning to ground level I passed a wall advising the wearing of hard hats beyond this point – knowing that I look foolish in any type of hat, due to having a square head – I chose to ignore this suggestion. The room opened up to display several holes in the wall and on reading the display I discovered that after moving in the owners discovered a grave marking behind the wall, which they kept and added a medical grade skeleton to enhance the display.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, the presentation of the displays was brilliant and the love and care for these artefacts clearly comes across in the manner in which they are shown. After leaving I felt the urge to have to address any spirits that wanted to follow me, informing them that they were to remain at the museum and that following me would not be as interesting as waiting around and engaging with the visitors and paranormal investigators that attend the museum and its ghost nights.

Due to the Museum's No Photograph rules I have shamelessly taken the images in this post from their website - www.thehauntedmuseum.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Touch of the Weird, The Weird Walk of Warwick

The county town of Warwickshire, conveniently called Warwick, is famous for its castle, its university and its proximity to Stratford-upon-A...