Sunday 26 May 2024

#SundayStories - "The Mysterious Visitor"

This weeks #SundayStory comes from an amazing woman who I met in Maidstone who wishes to remain anonymous.

I had seven staff that were constantly sneezing in the large office we shared. Along the hospital corridor we had Rose Gibb fighting the CDIFF outbreak which brought with it a mandatory use of sanitising concoctions to protect us from the bugs and the media storm that followed.

I decided that my office would need to be dismantled and cleaned to prevent the loss of staff to the threatened illness, and it would need to be done out of hours. So, I planned to come in on the Sunday to clear and clean the best I could. I arrived during the afternoon and dragged a ‘cage’ to put all the pc’s and wiring in. It would stand in the corridor whilst I set to washing and polishing walls, chairs and desks. My last jobs would be the hoovering and then rewiring of equipment.

The good thing about the Oncology Centre was that the door to the main hospital corridor was locked at the weekend, the lights were off, both inside and out in the central garden area. Nobody knew I was there. Nobody knew I had a key to the side door, and an in order to remain inconspicuous to the rest of the hospital staff, I left all the lights off except for those in the office. The winter afternoon sun had already gone down and I saw my own reflection in the windows as I worked, bathed in the only room with light.

As I bumbled on with the job I heard a voice calling ‘hello’ and I went into the corridor to see who it could be. A particularly ordinary lady was there, holding a bag. ‘Can I help you?’ I asked. ‘I am here to visit my mother’ she told me. I couldn’t work out how she had got in. ‘I am sorry, but this end of the hospital is closed, you would need to use the main entrance as the whole department is locked. If you hold on, I will get the keys, let you out and show you the way’

My keys were within arm’s reach and I stretched to grab them to open the door. Stepping over the hoover I ventured further into the dark corridor but she was not there. She had gone. I could not find her and all outer doors were locked and alarmed. I ventured outside just to see whether she was walking towards the main entrance, but nobody was there.

It took a while to digest the event as it seemed so normal, and not one bit paranormal, but the more I considered it and checked the department, the more I question its reality.

It wasn’t sinister, I wasn’t afraid but she definitely wasn’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Touch of the Weird, The Weird Walk of Warwick

The county town of Warwickshire, conveniently called Warwick, is famous for its castle, its university and its proximity to Stratford-upon-A...