Thursday 28 September 2023

Force Ghosts

It’s a dark misty morning, the full moon slowly merges from behind a cloud as a low rumble of thunder angrily vibrates the air after the explosive flash of lightning forking through the pre-dawn sky. Slowly a violin plays a sombre, mournful melody – adding to the tense atmosphere  - as your view pans to the lonely house on a hill, set next to the jagged outline of a graveyard. A car crunches up the gravel driveway the sound louder due to the silence of the thunder. The brake light illuminate and the engine is silenced. The driver opens his door, alights, and walks toward the cavernous portal that is the front door of the house. Opening the door with a squeak he walks in and…

If this were a horror film this is how the birth of a paranormal investigator would be presented. In fact the start of this journey starts with a question – “Have you listened to Uncanny?”

www.dannyrobins.com/podcasts

The first thing I have learned is that podcasts are a thing. The second was that I can get them on my phone. The third (and Mrs James will no doubt look smug) is that I don’t actually mind wireless headphones. If faced with that question again I can now answer “Yes, have you listened to The Battersea Poltergeist or the Witch Farm or his earlier one Haunted?”

So yes I have now listened to Uncanny and I am now definitely a Danny Robins fan. 

To catch you up

-           -  a podcast is an audio recorded programme about a topic or topics of interest

-           -  you can listen to a podcast through a podcast provider like BBC Sounds or a podcast catcher like  Spotify

-           -  wireless headphones are pretty convenient – especially if they charge magically when you leave them with your wife.

Danny Robins in Uncanny takes a paranormal case and views it from both the believer and sceptical perspectives, assisted by guests. He presents the case with quality production values (Thank you BBC) that immerses you for 30 minutes into the story. The only criticism I have is that supply has outweighed demand and having completed it I needed more.

A quick search of ‘Paranormal’ in my Podcasts app led me to The Dark Paranormal and We Need to Talk About Ghosts, both coming ‘Live from Liverpool’ and presented by Kevin Eustace. Both telling the real life ghostly encounters of his audience, the latter being more light-hearted and conversational including Kevin’s partner, Becca, and the Neighbours Cat, where The Dark Paranormal is… dark. 

Having already known what a book was, the next learning revolution was Kindle Unlimited. A book – but on my phone! Now I wouldn’t get those sideways looks that scream ‘Weirdo!’ when sat in public and they see the cover of a spooky book. This new superpower led me to grow my team of trusted advisors as I discovered the real life haunting experiences of Andrew Hopkins and the adventures of paranormal investigators Richard Estep, Chris Whitehouse and Peter Underwood. I will go into more details of my paranormal Yodas in later posts.

Lucas Arts

I discovered through their experiences how they conduct investigations, the tools of the trade, the pitfalls and traps and most importantly that the key quality for any paranormal investigator is patience. 

Having completed this research phase I encountered The Enfield Poltergeist, The Black Monk of Pontefract, the occupants of Shepton Mallet prison as well as many not so famous hauntings through normal people’s real life tales. I felt it was now time to suit up and get out there and actually investigate something supernatural.

They say to bury the body of a murderer at crossroads so that its spirit cannot find peace. However, having never murdered anyone. I found myself at a similar location - How do you actually, practically investigate ghost?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Touch of the Weird, The Weird Walk of Warwick

The county town of Warwickshire, conveniently called Warwick, is famous for its castle, its university and its proximity to Stratford-upon-A...